guix-devel

Current state of cargo-build-system

From: Ivan Petkov
Subject: Current state of cargo-build-system
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:11:58 -0800

Hello Guix!

I'm new to both Guix and Guile/Scheme and decided to get my feet wet by
attempting to package a non-trivial Rust crate into Guix.

This seems like something others have tried before me with varying degrees of
success (I found this thread from a few years ago which doesn't seem to have
resolved in any way https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg00306.html).
I ran into a host of issues myself, but I was able to prototype some changes
which allowed me to make some progress. Happy to keep hacking on this, but
ultimately I need some insight/guidance on the proper ways to build this out in
Guix :)

But before I propose any new changes, I wanted to check, what is the current
state cargo/crates in Guix from a community perspective?

Are there any philosophical or technical blockers that preclude pulling in
packages from crates.io, or is it just a matter of chipping away at the problem?

--Ivan