guix-devel

Re: ‘staging’ and GNOME updates

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: ‘staging’ and GNOME updates
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 00:59:54 -0400

Hi Ricardo and Ludo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>> I removed pretty both .cache directories, moved .config sub-directories
>> around, etc., and yet I am still unable to log in into the GNOME account
>> (logging in to a non-GNOME account from GDM is fine.)
>>
>> I even tried upgrading the user’s profile just in case is contained
>> incompatible schemas or who knows what, but that didn’t help.
>>
>> What extra bit of state am I missing?
>
> Do you have ~/.local?  In my earlier tests this contained binary
> notification data that when loaded would lead to a crash.

I’m testing GNOME on ‘staging’ now, and had the same problem (GDM worked
okay, but I could not login).  I fixed it by deleting
“~/.local/share/gnome-shell/notifications”.  I left everything else in
my home directory as it was.

The newer GNOME seems much nicer, so this is pretty cool.  The only
problems I see so far are that I lost my background picture, there’s no
icons or text for NetworkManager on the status bar, and icons aren’t
working for applications in my user profile.  I haven’t updated my
profile yet, so that might help the icons.  We’ll see.

Thanks Ricardo for doing the update!

-- Tim