guix-devel

Re: User shell: state or config?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: User shell: state or config?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 20:03:32 +0200

Ludo', all,

mikadoZero wrote:
Ludovic Courtès writes:

[…]

However, thinking more about it, I’m not sure if considering shells as
state is such a good idea, for several reasons:

1. It’s surprising that ‘guix system reconfigure’ doesn’t actually
     change the shell, as Tanguy reported.

As a new user of Guix System I was recently surprised by this as well.
I was expecting the shell to be managed by configuration.

As an old user, I agree ;-)

It's so surprising because we don't set ‘user-overridable defaults’ for state anywhere else. You can't reason about your system the way you used to. The config is a lie.

All in all, I’m in favor of switching back to the previous behavior: considering user shells as system config. That’s a one-line change in
(gnu build accounts).

+1!

Kind regards,

T G-R