guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 15:43:37 +0200

> We could probably improve the cold-cache timings by adding synopses and
> descriptions to the package cache that ‘guix pull’ builds in
> ~/.config/guix/current/lib/guix/package.cache, but that would also make
> that cache bigger.  Not sure if it’s worth it.

To be clear, did you mean it might not be worth it because of the size
it takes on the user's drive or because the increase in size might slow
down the lookup?

For the former, currently my cache is 3.5 MiB big so I think it's safe
to go ahead and try if we get faster lookups with embedded synopses.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/