I'm excited to announce that I opened FreeCAD for the first time this evening thanks most recently to support on the FreeCAD forum! I am no expert in the use of the application, however, so I am sure some issues might be discovered with use. I already know of the following two issues:
- Bundled third party packages. Among them: SMESH (from salome or a fork), Pivy (from coin3D), libkdtree++ (seems like there is no live source or maintainer), and a few others.
- License help. FreeCAD itself is under the gpl 2.1+, however I think I need some guidance providing the correct licenses (both for FreeCAD and the bundled source)
Now where do I put the package definition in gnu/packages? I have several module definitions in my channel:
- salome.scm for libmedfile, smesh and the supporting infrastructure
- coin3d.scm for coin3d, soqt, and pivy (WIP)
- python-pyside.scm for Shiboken2, Pyside2, and Pyside2-tools
- libarea.scm for libarea
- libspnav.scm for libspnav and
- freecad.scm for FreeCAD itself
I am happy to finally learn to use the app!