guix-devel

Re: BTRFS, LVM, LUKS

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: BTRFS, LVM, LUKS
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 19:54:45 +0200

Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Anyway, I guess it would make most sense to at least start building up
> on existing practice.  How does Guix currently bring up multi-device
> root filesystems (btrfs, mdraid, ...),

With BTRFS multi device activation is built in the Linux kernel AFAIU,
so no need to "activate" it, just mount one of the devices of a
multi-device BTRFS filesystem (using uuid id more resilient)

I cannot help much with mdraid since I still had not the chance to
study how device-mapper devices are activated; AFAIU the code is in (gnu
system mapped-devices)

> and any recursive combinations of mdraid, dmcrypt, etc?

Recursive? Do you mean LUKS on mdraid on LUKS? Or mdraid on LUKS on
mdraid? AFAIU this kind of *nesting* should be supported but maybe just
a complication :-)

raid-device-mapping and luks-device-mapping are a type of
mapped-devices currently supported, you can combine them as you like to
assemble a device to be used for your filesystems

Filesystems can have dependencies on other filesystems or mapped-devices
(see "dependencies" member of file-system)

I hope this clarifies how Guix assemble its filesystems.

[...]

Happy Guix! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo