guix-devel

Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 13:41:24 +0900

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Generations also don't allow you to btrfs send/receive, which I
>> think was Maxim's main point.  If there's another KISSy way to
>> back up whole Guix Systems over the Internet, I don't know of it
>> (rsync can't, nor can borg or restic or…, and everything else is
>> too much work :o).
>
> Question: What is the point of backing up a Guix system if the
> config.scm suffices?  Is there something that is not contained in config.scm?
>
> Beside Internet connection cost and time, of course! ;)

Hi Pierre!

I've used a full backup to migrate from hard drives in the past; it's
actually faster to sync drives than fetch packages off the internet, and
my system is exactly in the same *state* as it was left (including those
bookmarks in Icecat, those cached emails, etc.).

Keep in mind that multiple subvolumes can be used to hold your 'home' or
other data partitons, making these individually easy to snapshot and
backup.

Maxim