guix-devel

Re: DE

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: DE
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 23:17:01 -0400

Hi guixest,

guixest <address@hidden> writes:

> hi.
> I was looking at available gtk based desktops. It appears xfce is up to date
> where as gnome
> is not. is there a reason for this?

Yes and no.  As I understand it, upgrading GNOME often means upgrading
GTK and GLib, which have a lot of dependants.  We batch those kinds of
upgrades because the build farm needs time to catch up, and we need to
test the resulting package set.  Usually this happens a couple times a
year, but the last batch took closer to a whole year to get through. (A
million thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get through it!)

Beyond that, having helped test two GNOME upgrades, I can say that there
are enough issues that it is a bit of a “project”.  It’s not so simple
as just bumping the versions and building the packages.

That being said, I am hopeful that we will eventually be able to catch
up to upstream.  We have some code for version 3.32, which is the
next-to-latest version.  If someone (me if I can find the time) gets it
cleaned up quick enough, it will be part of the next batch upgrade.
BTW, we always appreciate help with testing if you’re up for it.  :)

-- Tim