guix-devel

Re: Packaging Jami progress

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Packaging Jami progress
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 10:07:38 +0100

Hi Jan,

>> What do you mean?  Guix can be installed on foreign distribution and
>> Jami would work there the same way it works on Guix System.
> I mean Windows (ReactOS in the future?), OSX, iOS, Android - Jami is an
> universal platform. AFAIK there's the option to build with
> --target=mingw64 or something like this. Could Guix support other
> targets as well? Some people in the Jami community want to have
> reproducible builds for Jami, no matter on what distribution.
> Providing reproducible builds for other systems is going to improve
> overall security of the platform.

The --target is for the _hardware_ platform, not the OS.  In Guix, there
is no concept of an "OS", it's just Guix.  So if you want the result to
run on a different OS, it just need to support the executable format,
e.g. ELF.

Currently Guix runs on GNU/Linux.  In the future, support may be added
for the *BSD, macOS, etc.  Time will tell.

To answer your question, we cannot make a "Jami package for <some-OS>"
specifically, but we can add OS support for Guix as a whole.

>> Wouldn't it be a user service?
> I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but autostart on GNU/Linux
> is handled by different init systems/process supervisors. How is the
> autostart handled on Guix System? When I searched for the way of adding
> a program to autostart on Debian-based distributions, I often found
> tutorials showing how to make an init script or systemd-something,
> anyway I thought that if libring is a daemon, then there needs to be
> something written for the Shepherd, but if it's handled as an user
> service, then it's fine.

In my understanding, Jami does not run as a system service but
per-user.  Actually, I'm not sure I would even call it a service, it's
more of an automatically-started program, so this is something you would
configure with you desktop environment.  GNOME supports this pretty well
as far as I know.

>> I'm not sure there is much more we can do here: regarding the
>> packaging process, we already have a tutorial (cf. the cookbook) that
>> covers everything needed to package Jami.  (As tough as Jami may be
>> to package...)
> I found some things hard/unintuitive, but maybe that's because I didn't
> entirely read the tutorial. Anyway if I find something worth improving,
> I'll tell.

If you are new to packaging in Guix, then you picked the wrong package
I'm afraid: Jami is really hard! :p This is something that has to do
with Jami itself, not so much with Guix.

That said, feel free to send suggestions to improve the cookbook.  The
clearer the better!

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt