guix-devel

Re: OCaml 4.09

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: OCaml 4.09
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 19:43:38 -0500

Le 19 janvier 2020 20:35:31 GMT-05:00, Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> a écrit
:
>Le 19 janvier 2020 15:25:01 GMT-05:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <address@hidden>
>a écrit :
>>Hello!
>>
>>Brett Gilio <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Short message! I am trying to get our OCaml development system up to
>>> shape, as it is currently lagging some versions behind. I have
>opened
>>> wip-ocaml4.09 branch for this work. Here are some of the things that
>>> need work that I have identified.
>>
>>I cannot really help on this, but I noticed that Julien added OCaml
>>4.09
>>in commit 7b99aa043c4e661fd86cfe25e7b51f5081f42e5d, so perhaps you can
>>synchronize on the next steps.  :-)
>>
>>Happy λ!
>>
>>Ludo’.
>
>Ah yes, sorry about that! Let's synchronize: we have
>package-with-explicit-ocaml. Next step is to have
>package-with-ocaml-4.07, update any package that doesn't work with 4.09
>(currently 4.07 is still the default), except for the janestreet
>packages and dependents. Then switch to 4.09 by default and make
>janestreet packages use 4.07 instead. Finally, import the new version
>of the janestreet packages and switch lependents to 4.09.
>
>That should ensure every step is buildable. Wdyt?

Ok, I pushed some updates to ocaml packages. I think we can now proceed with
the switch to ocaml 4.09 by default. There are three phases to the switch, and
two more to complete it:

- add ocaml4.07-findlib
- add package-with-ocaml4.07
- switch the default:
 + switch ocaml
 + explicitely use ocaml 4.07 on janestreet packages and dependents, rename
them.
 + use package-with-ocaml4.07 when necessary
- package janestreet packages again, for 4.09
- replace dependents with a version for 4.09 whenever possible (only bap and
earley may not be upgradable)

I'll try to do the first three phases tomorrow, and the other two will probably
take me another week.