guix-devel

Re: rav1e AV1 encoder

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: rav1e AV1 encoder
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 23:14:29 -0500

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 01:21:18PM -0800, John Soo wrote:
> You should be committing packages in topological order but the file
> order is alphabetical.
>
> Good luck, rust is a ton of work.

Okay, that makes sense.

I tried to use `guix graph` to learn the shape of the package graph but
it doesn't work as expected since these packages don't refer to their
dependencies in the typical way. I thought that using the 'derivation'
graph type might help but I don't think that I can process it on my
computer `dot`. It's been going for hours now...

Many of the "new packages" are actually semver-compatible updates to
existing packages, and these updates often change the list of
cargo-inputs dependencies.

Given that, I don't know how to learn the right order of things to
commit one at a time that will never break the build.

Would we have the same issue with updating this kind of large package
tree automatically with `guix refresh` and committing the changes one at
a time?