guix-devel

Re: rust (build system) deficits

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: rust (build system) deficits
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 07:00:56 -0700

Hi Hartmut,

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 2:26 AM, Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:

A second dependancy is "sequoia-openpgp", which requires rhe lalrpop
parser generator for building.

Now when building `sequioa-sqv`, I need to add all these dependencies again:

- nettle-src, since it is "optional" for nettle-sys - and the phase was
not executed.
- bindgen, since it is required to build nettle-sys
- lalrpop, since it is required for building sequoia-openpgp

That is a lot of work! I know because I did all of those for pijul in this
channel github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel.  Want to compare notes? What are you
working on?

Also I found the recursive crate importer very helpful, even if it was
imperfect. Are you using the importer or doing the work by hand?

And as Efraim mentioned, optional dependencies in the cargo sense are not
optional for guix definitions.

Good luck,

John