guix-devel

Re: Guix Data Services - Outreachy Applicant

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix Data Services - Outreachy Applicant
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 13:48:30 +0100

Hi Danjela,

> I am trying to build the Guix Data Service project locally and it prompts
> me to install Guile-Squee. I tried to install Squee but I am running into
> other build problems when I run 'make'. Apparently it can't find libpq,
> which I checked and is downloaded.
> Here is the error message:
> ```
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:752:25: In procedure dispatch-exception:
> In procedure dynamic-link: file: "libpq", message: "file not found"
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:968: squee.go] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/daniela/Downloads/guile-squee'
> make: *** [Makefile:543: all-recursive] Error 1
>
> ```

This means that the postgresql database’s library libpq could not be
found.  It looks like you’re compiling and installing this manually.  I
suggest using Guix to install all these things.

> I have to note that I am not using Gnu/Guix, but I do have the Guix package
> manager installed as well as a Gnu/Linux distro. (OpenSuse Tumbleweed)

Clarification: the Guix package manager is called Guix.  The operating
system is called Guix System.  With Guix installed on top of OpenSuse
you can use almost all of the features of Guix; you can even build
virtual machines running Guix System.  So this should not be an
obstacle.

You can install all the packages you need with Guix.  The Data Service
repository comes with a file “guix-dev.scm”.  To enter an environment
that has all packages that you will need to work on the Data Service run
the following command:

    guix environment -l guix-dev.scm

Hope this helps!

--