guix-devel

Re: hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:29:51 +0200

Dear,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 at 08:12, Jan Synacek <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 11:38 AM zimoun <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 10:35, Jan Synacek <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Seriously? Are you seriously forcing your users to either run emacs (or at
>> > least
>> > to set the env variable) or use pipes to get the entire search result?
>>
>> It is "known" that Guix should respect the PAGER variable [1,2] and it
>> is already a feature request [3].
>>
> Why do you want to make things complicated? What's wrong with *just showing
> the entire output*? And let users decide if they want to use a pager, recsel,
> emacs or redirect the output somewhere else.
>
> I mean you run a command and the command shows its output. It makes me kind
> of sad that there even has to be a discussion about this.
>
>> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00039.html
>> [2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-02/msg00150.html
>> [3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-02/msg00154.html

I do not have a strong opinion.
Personally, I do not find the default behaviour really handy and I
(almost) always pipe with 'recsel -C -P name' because I do not find
handy neither to display all the package fields by default. Well,
taste and colour. :-)
And my answer was just to point you that it is not an arbitrary
choice. And all choices can be discussed. ;-)

All the best,
simon