guix-devel

Re: hide more output

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: hide more output
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 11:10:06 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So in effect, it wouldn’t display anything upfront, only the size of the
>> stuff downloaded right?  Plus maybe the list of things to build?
>
> I think the list of things to build is a lower level details.  The users
> want to know what's going to end up in their profile, they care less
> about the store.

I care very much on whether this will be quick 5 minute thing, or I will
have to leave my laptop crunching for the next 36 hours.

Of course this information is only useful to me because I happen to know
that e.g. ungoogled-chromium takes ages to build. A new user or one with
slightly less Stockholm syndrome probably can't make many informed
decisions with just a list of "things to build".

 - Jelle