guix-devel

Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:49:53 +0200

Hello Mark,

thank you for your interest.

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

[...]

>> IMHO it's useful to have emacs-lucid in official Guix, with subsitutes
>> available for end users (I'm not using emacs in daemon mode over X11
>> over SSH for fear of chrashes).
>
> FYI, our 'emacs-no-x-toolkit' package has a closure size of 390.9 MiB
> and does _not_ have the Gtk bug described above.  That's why I use it.

Yes I know that emacs version, I'm also considering using it (I do not
remember why I decided I needed an X toolkit... I should just try).

> Are there additional benefits to 'emacs-lucid' that are not already
> addressed by 'emacs-no-x-toolkit'?

emacs-lucid would have an X toolkit that does not crash the daemon when
remotely connecting, some people like to have that (an X tookit I mean)
even if usually it's not strictly needed.

> I'm not necessarily opposed to adding another Emacs variant, but I
> don't yet understand the motivation.

Help some users avoid experiencing "the bug", but I understand that
probably the use base for emacs-lucid is tiny.

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures