guix-devel

Re: Outdated avr-toolchain

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Outdated avr-toolchain
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 09:52:31 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 12:47:18 +0530
Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:

> Our avr-toolchain is very old and outdated. Our version is 5.5.0,
> whereas the latest seems to be 10.2.0. We also have multiple versions of
> the avr-toolchain packages along with functions to produce those
> multiple versions. Can we remove these functions and different versions,
> and keep only one latest version of the avr-toolchain?

As one of the people using avr-toolchain, +1

> I have an old patchset[1] to this effect, but I didn't want to proceed
> without a discussion. I was concerned that there might be a use, for all
> these different versions, that I did not comprehend.

I don't think so.  The AVRs are so tiny and development using them is usually
done by copying library source code into your project, so I cannot see any
reason to care about different gcc versions for AVR.

avrdude is another matter--it's very easy to break that if you don't actually
test it.