guix-devel

Re: Guix Front End (GUI) and making it more mainstream, popular in scien

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: Guix Front End (GUI) and making it more mainstream, popular in scientific community.
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 11:03:51 +0100

On 01.11.2020 22:53, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi,

Lars-Dominik Braun <ldb@leibniz-psychology.org> skribis:

[…] from my point of view, the good direction would be a “web-app frontend”,
similarly to git-annex-assistant [1].  This design is more flexible because
it could be used locally *and* could also be the front-end of some servers
(e.g., build farms).
I have something like this on my todo list as well. It would probably be more
of a manifest file editor though, since we use manifest files for
reproducibility.

Long ago Dave Thompson wrote guix-web, which allowed you to install
packages (you’d run it as your user):

https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/origin/directory/?origin_url=https://gitorious.org/guix-web/guix-web.git

It’s an interesting approach with several advantages (in particular it
can be quickly developed), though I must say I remain unenthusiastic
about using web browsers for local GUIs.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

While I empathize with concerns about web browsers, I have to admit that I'm absolutely blown away by Vue.js + BootstrapVue. (Using node & npm.)

My other GUI development experiences include iOS, Android, and C#.NET. I found Vue.js with Bootstrap to be on a completely different level.

Just wanted to throw this out there, even though I know it's heresy!

- Taylan