guix-devel

Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 13:57:19 +0100

Hi Pierre,

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 at 10:42, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> That'd be true if Geiser would indeed help us with Guix.  But here it
> actually provides almost no benefits and costs us a lot.
>
> Indeed, the *Guix REPL* buffer
>
> - is not required to build packages,

Is it possible to currently build the packages using Emacs-Guix?

And if you talk about ‘guix-devel-build-package-source‘, it needs before
to ’run-geiser’, I guess.

>> Not a problem if Emacs-Guix were maintained, IMO.  We can talk to each
>> other, jao (the Geiser maintainer and primary developer) has always been
>> responsive and helpful.
>
> True, the maintainer is responsive, sadly the issues I'm talking about
> are hard to solve I think, they've been left hanging for a while now:
>
> - https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/9

8 months is bunch of time but not a while. :-)

> - https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/11

3 weeks is not a while, neither. ;-)

> I'd like insist: in the current state of Geiser, we cannot leverage it
> reliably in Emacs-Guix.  We need to talk to Guix directly, e.g. with
> `guix repl` like I've done in Nyxt.

For all what “guix-popup” does, maybe pipe to “guix repl” should
simplify.  But I do not see how one could work interactively without
Geiser; for example piping to “guix repl” can not fix your concern about
“Traces are not interactive”, fixing Geiser can.

All the best,
simon