guix-devel

[outreachy] Walk through the Git history

From: zimoun
Subject: [outreachy] Walk through the Git history
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 18:49:07 +0100

Hey,

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 14:24, Magali <magalilemes00@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Awaiting how to walk the history tree, I am proposing to use the loop as
>> Mathieu said.  However, ’match’ is preferred over ’car’.
>
> I got curious as to why it is preferred, hehe. Is there a special
> reason?

I do not really know.  I am just taking in count previous Ludo’s
comments, for example [1].  From my understanding, it seems more
aesthetic.  Maybe Ludo or someone else would comment more. :-)

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/87d0121iru.fsf@gnu.org>

>> Well, ’commit-list’ is far from perfect because all the log is traversed
>> and the list reversed, aside that the first commit is not captured,
>> etc. But I hope you get the idea.  It is a starting point to implement a
>> draft of:
>>
>>   guix git log --oneline
>
> Understood. I'll start working on it.

IMHO, the reward to this path will be easier; incremental improvements.
However, feel free to start whenever you want to give a look on how the
Guile-Git bindings are done; it will be implemented at one point or the
other. :-)

Cheers,
simon