guix-devel

Re: Guix in Debian!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix in Debian!
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 15:05:35 +0100

Hi!

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:

> So, a while back I mentioned that Guix was present in Debian
> "experimental":
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00254.html
>
> And it was useable for a brief window of time, but was broken due to
> some issues with guile-gnutls and guile-3.0:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/964284

Yeah, that’s an annoying issue in guile-gnutls awaiting a satisfactory fix:

  https://lists.gnutls.org/pipermail/gnutls-help/2020-December/004676.html

If those following at home have a fresh mind and would like to give it a
spin, that’d be most welcome!

> Just a few days ago, I decided to attempt to get Guix into Debian's next
> release, and went with the fallback plan of building it against
> guile-2.2, and a few disabled tests later...
>
>   https://tracker.debian.org/guix
>

> If all goes well, it should migrate to "bullseye" in a few
> days. Hopefully in a few months "bullseye" will become Debian's stable
> release shipping with guix! Presumeably Guix will also eventually find
> itself in Ubuntu and other Debian derivatives...

Woohoo!

> Now on Debian you should be able to:
>
>   apt install guix
>   guix install dpkg
>   guix environment --ad-hoc dpkg -- dpkg -i ./guix_1.2.0-3_amd64.deb
>
> It is almost like symmetry!

Now that’s impressive.  :-)

Someone on IRC recently asked whether one could use dpkg/apt on Guix
(Guix System, I assume).  What does it take to get dpkg working on Guix
System?

Thank you!

Ludo’.