guix-devel

Re: packaging a golang package

From: Elais Player
Subject: Re: packaging a golang package
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 20:57:46 +0000

Hey I just want to throw out there that I have a very WIP go module importer[1] sitting on my channel. It uses the proxy.golang.org[2] api to fetch the module's dependencies and source. The single module importer works for the most part but I need to fix it so that the recursive importer doesn't fail when it tries to fetch a dependency in a project's go.mod file that isn't proxied.

There are a few problems that should be looked at for my importer.

1.) it does not include metadata or licensing information, so after importing this way a prudent packager will have to go through and add this information for everything that was pulled down.

2.) I don't think I'm doing a good job of filtering out similar versions of packages, i tried to follow the examples in the cargo importer but I'm not quite sure what all is going on in there.

3.) It uses a call to `guix environment --ad-hoc go -- go mod edit -json` to parse module dependencies from the go.mod file, maybe this can be done in a more idiomatic way?

I think its a good start if anyone would like to help get it over the hump.

[1] https://git.sr.ht/~elais/orange/tree/master/item/guix/import/go.scm

[2] https://proxy.golang.org

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021, at 21:10, adfeno--- via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. wrote:
Em 28/01/2021 13:03, Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
> IMO, ‘guix import’ does not “steer users towards obtaining any nonfree
> information” any more than wget does.  It’s a tool for packagers that
> returns a package definition or template thereof, and it’s up to the
> packager to decide what to do with it.

I do agree with you, sorry if for some reason it sounded otherwise. My intention is not to censor the user on that matter. Let me make it clear what I meant in the previous message:

From the bug report I referenced, one can see that what I find strange is that the cargo provided by Guix (installable through `guix package -i rust:cargo') has cargo's default repository enabled. The bug report referenced has some ideas to try to solve this (although I didn't make extensive test to see if they are all possible and doable).

--
* Ativista do software livre
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
* Membro dos grupos avaliadores de
* Software (Free Software Directory)
* Distribuições de sistemas (FreedSoftware)
* Sites (Free _javascript_ Action Team)
* Não sou advogado e não fomento os não livres
* Sempre veja o spam/lixo eletrônico do teu e-mail
* Ou coloque todos os recebidos na caixa de entrada
* Sempre assino e-mails com OpenPGP
* Chave pública: vide endereço anterior
* Qualquer outro pode ser fraude
* Se não tens OpenPGP, ignore o anexo "signature.asc"
* Ao enviar anexos
* Docs., planilhas e apresentações: use OpenDocument
* Outros tipos: vide endereço anterior
* Use protocolos de comunicação federadas
* Vide endereço anterior
* Mensagens secretas somente via
* XMPP com OMEMO
* E-mail criptografado e assinado com OpenPGP

Attachments: