guix-devel

Re: Opposition to new single-letter package name "t"

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Opposition to new single-letter package name "t"
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 12:38:04 +0100

Raghav Gururajan 写道:
Since, we already mention "todo list manager" in description, I think "ti-cli" is better.

It says nothing about the package and does not uniquely identify it:

 bundlerApp {
   pname = "t";
   [...]

   meta = with lib; {
     description = "A command-line power tool for Twitter";
     homepage    = "http://sferik.github.io/t/";;
     [...]
   };
 }

It's “t”!  It's “CLI”!  It's... a totally different package[0]!

Please: t-todo-manager (t-todo-whatever, I don't care) or $something_a_mainstream_distro_uses, but not yet another bikeshedded unique name, fun as they are to do.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/release-20.09/pkgs/tools/misc/t/default.nix