guix-devel

Re: Outreachy - Guix Data Service: questions about improving the data fo

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Outreachy - Guix Data Service: questions about improving the data for derivation comparisons.
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 08:56:39 +0100

Luciana Lima Brito <lubrito@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 21:29:35 +0100
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:
>

>> Great :) I've tweaked the commit message a little and pushed.
>
> This is really great!!!
>
> I started to look after my final application and I need to see two
> specific things with you to finish filling the forms.
>
> 1 - There is a field in which I should provide more information, if
> required by the community or project's mentor. Are there any questions
> I should answer?

Nope, you can leave that bit.

> 2 - About the timeline: "work with your mentor to provide a timeline of
> the work you plan to accomplish on the project and what tasks you will
> finish at each step".

This is relevant though. I'd say the important bit of what's above is
the breakdown of the work (the tasks) as you see it, rather than any
exact dates in the timeline.

So, have another read of the project description and the main tasks as I
set out. Now is the time to discuss if that approach makes sense, and
once you're happy with the direction, start to split tasks down in to
more concrete parts.

I realise the performance improvements will be dependent on the
discovery work, so this more applies to the approach to work out what
bits are slow. I can try and help with this, but it's not me who's going
to be doing the work, so it's you who needs to be happy with the
proposed approach.

> another thing, what I should be doing now for my next contribution?

Given the final application deadline is quite close, I'd look at that
first.

Chris