guix-devel

Re: Error when compiling file using Bigloo Scheme

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Error when compiling file using Bigloo Scheme
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 18:53:49 +0200

Am Freitag, dem 08.07.2022 um 15:42 +0000 schrieb Sam Lee:
> On 2022-07-08 16:25 +0200, zimoun wrote:
> > On jeu., 07 juil. 2022 at 15:56, Sam Lee <samlee746@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >     $ bigloo myfile.scm
> > >     /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lunistring
> > >     collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > Indeed, bigloo requires some packages.  This works for me:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > $ guix shell -C bigloo libunistring gcc-toolchain libgc pcre \
> >      -- bigloo /tmp/myfile.scm
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Thank you for providing a workaround.
>
> When I install Bigloo using Guix, shouldn't all of Bigloo's
> dependencies be installed by Guix?  Why do I need to manually install
> additional packages?  Is there something wrong with Bigloo's package
> definition in Guix?
We don't typically propagate packages, especially not gcc-toolchain.
You should be able to swap that out for any other toolchain, e.g.
another version of gcc-toolchain or perhaps even clang-toolchain.  I'm
not sure about libunistring, libgc and pcre.  There is a somewhat
similar bug in libgccjit not finding its own object files, which I find
rather silly; search paths definitely need adjusting imho.

Cheers