guix-devel

Re: Error when compiling file using Bigloo Scheme

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Error when compiling file using Bigloo Scheme
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 09:29:11 +0200

On Fri, 08 Jul 2022 at 18:53, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We don't typically propagate packages, especially not gcc-toolchain.
> You should be able to swap that out for any other toolchain, e.g.
> another version of gcc-toolchain or perhaps even clang-toolchain.  I'm
> not sure about libunistring, libgc and pcre.  There is a somewhat
> similar bug in libgccjit not finding its own object files, which I find
> rather silly; search paths definitely need adjusting imho.

Well, indeed the convention is to not propagate some packages.  For
instance, it is similar with Haskell: the installation of GHC “guix
shell ghc” is not enough to have a working Haskell environment; it is
also required other packages as gcc-toolchain.

As I wrote elsewhere [1], I think Guix should provide ready-to-use
“compiler” toolsuite.  Other said, something like “bigloo-toolchain” or
“haskell-toolchain” or etc.

First, it eases the usuability; hiding plumbing details.  Second, it
eases the “swap out”; the application of a transformation appears to me
much easier because all is explicit instead of having beforehand
an implicit knowledge on the “compiler” itself.

Somehow, it was the rationale behind gcc-toolchain or gfortran-toolchain.

Cheers,
simon

1:
<https://yhetil.org/guix/CAJ3okZ0i0DjQMzgJ9WwzDC2tKc8WeTZxqW46KH+vq9zKbgBzhQ@mail.gmail.com>