guix-devel

Re: Packages grow, no longer fit on a 💾

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Packages grow, no longer fit on a 💾
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 08:04:12 -0500

Paul Jewell via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> Evening all,
>

> Please forgive my ignorance if I have missed anything but:
>
> - does anyone actually install from a CD these days?
> - Can an ISO be bigger than a CD then be installed on a memory stick?
>
> It strikes me that this is like King Canute holding back the tide. Package
> size
> growth is pretty inevitable, and even if work now can bring the size down to
> that of a CD, the same problem will occur in the not too distant future.
>
> Is it really a problem? Please educate me! :)

Well if GNU Guix/Hurd System ever becomes a thing, you will need a CD to
install the Hurd.  The Hurd currently does not have usb support.  Though
work is ongoing to fix this.  Also the current Debian GNU/Hurd requires
a CD to install in real hardware.