guix-devel

Re: valgrind

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: valgrind
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:34:41 +0100

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 at 14:16, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> Am Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 01:39:29PM +0100 schrieb zimoun:

>> Is the package ’valgrind/interactive’ accessible with valgrind@3.17
>> needed?  Indeed, maybe it could be dropped, especially if it is broken
>> for some use-case.
>
> I do not know whether it is broken;

Sorry if I have misunderstood your initial message, quoting: « I have
the impression that my past problems with using valgrind have been
solved since the upgrade to 3.20.0 ».

>                                     the question is rather whether it is
> needed: We do not normally keep several versions of packages around unless
> there is a good reason, and if there is one, it does not seem to be
> documented here.

Yes, I agree with your question.

>From my point of view, the package referred by the symbol
’valgrind/interactive’ accessible by the user with “valgrind@3.17” and
providing an expected Valgrind at version 3.17 is not needed and it
could be dropped.

> Similarly for valgrind-noninteractive 3.17; maybe if it is to be removed
> and replaced by valgrind-noninteractive 3.20, this will have to be done
> on a particular branch, or maybe it is indeed needed.

The removal of the hidden package referred by the symbol ’valgrind’ (I
guess what you are naming valgrind-noninteractive 3.17) is a
core-updates change.  It is difficult to say if the update from 3.17 to
3.20 will be smooth or not; ~1000+ packages at least are impacted by
such update.

Therefore, yes this package is needed for master. :-)

> The need for valgrind-noninteractive is also unclear.

Since it is an hidden package, it is not straightforward to evaluate the
closure.  I guess, this difference between valgrind and
valgrind/interactive (whatever the version) is about the closure.

Well, the package referred by the symbol ’valgrind/interactive’ should
be replaced by what ’valgrind-3.20’ provides.  Done with patch#61199 [1].

1: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/61199

Cheers,
simon