guix-devel

Re: Guix release broken without substitutes on ungrafted openssl

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix release broken without substitutes on ungrafted openssl
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:33:34 -0500

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 12:15:21PM -0500, Greg Hogan wrote:
> Installing guix from source fails on the build of openssl@1.1.1l. I
> see the same error on my working system (log attached) when executing
> the command below. The issue looks to be caused by OpenSSL's expired
> test certs fixed in 1.1.1p [0]. Guix currently grafts openssl 1.1.1s
> but it seems grafts are not part of the bootstrap process (substitutes
> disabled).
>
> If this is the correct diagnosis then we should be ungrafting before
> future releases any bootstrap dependencies relating to build failures
> (not necessarily for security updates).
>
> My personal fix was to adapt my installation script to iteratively set
> back then reset the clock, as openssl only builds in the past but
> diffutils-boot0 then fails due to newly created files being older than
> distributed files.

Thanks for the notes.

I do believe this has been discussed previously, to be found in the
archives!

In general, SSL/TLS implementations keep making this... unfortunate
mistake in their test suites.

It only really affects distros like Guix or Nix, so it's our problem to
fix.

I'd guess it's happened 4 times in the last several years.

It's one of several reasons that rebuilding old Guix releases actually
approaches being a Hard Problem.