guix-devel

Re: Guix release broken without substitutes on ungrafted openssl

From: Greg Hogan
Subject: Re: Guix release broken without substitutes on ungrafted openssl
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 15:04:43 -0500

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 1:33 PM Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> It only really affects distros like Guix or Nix, so it's our problem to
> fix.

I forgot to mention that I also needed to switch the pull url from
https to http, otherwise git would fail on certificate verification. I
believe this is secure with Guix handling the git authentication.

I see the same openssl@1.1.1l error when building with the system
clock set to 2022/12/19, the date of the 1.4.0 release, so it appears
that the release was never bootstrappable without hijinks.

For the general case perhaps there could be a way to describe the
build environment similar to the manifest and channels. Could a build
date be specified and faketime used similar to how Guix makes use of
fakeroot? Perhaps this has already been proposed in the archive.

Greg