guix-devel

Re: Golang go-updates feature branch?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Golang go-updates feature branch?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:05:42 +0100

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> Thank you for your help Josselin! It's much appreciated.

Happy to help!

> As part of our effort to move towards a "feature branch" development
> workflow, it will be useful to collect these tips so that everyone can
> create and test their own manifests and Cuirass specs.
>
> I wonder where it should go: a blog post, the cookbook, the Guix manual,
> etc?

What's the reason behind branch-specific manifests? I'd imagine we'd
want to test that Guix as a whole still works, even when upgrading just
specific parts.  Otherwise, I guess this shouldn't qualify for a blog
post, maybe the cookbook but I'd even just add this as a comment at the
very top of `build-aux/cuirass/evaluate.scm`, since that's where people
will go looking for it.  If it does end up becoming widespread, perhaps
a section of the manual/cookbook dedicated to how feature branches work
could be a nice home for these bits of info.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret