guix-devel

Re: i686 core-updates failure.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: i686 core-updates failure.
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:47:50 +0200

"jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> My thoughts on this are that unless someone has the time to maintain those
> broken packages we should just remove them and clean up shop a bit.
>
> Is there a reason to keep around the broken packages?

Definitely not!

It’s been difficult enough to get them added in the first place.  Rather
than undoing years of past work just because it’s inconvenient to do
maintenance we should increase the number of people who feel responsible
to help with maintenance.

I know that I won’t continue contributing to Guix if packages are
removed with nonchalance.  We speak of removing Pandoc, Haskell, and
most of R.  That would be nothing short of reckless.

Yes, this is only i686 and it’s worth thinking about whether to continue
supporting this architecture when developers seemingly don’t care about
it any more.  But just removing foundational packages is akin to just
giving up.

--
Ricardo