guix-devel

Re: Build dependency inflation (was: Re: Core-updates merge)

From: bokr
Subject: Re: Build dependency inflation (was: Re: Core-updates merge)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 01:28:26 +0200

Hi,
TL;DR:

If we have 22k sources, how about expressing dependency as a
22k x 22k matrix of weights Wij and dependency by
multiplication of 22k x 1 matrix os sources variables
ordered Sj by immediate dependency first. I guess the Sj
column matrix is transposed to do the multiplication, so the
Wij j's and Sj j's match.

Start with weights of only 1 0r 0. Later maybe measures of
compile times?

The diagonal Wjj would be all ones, and counts of ones in
vertical columns Wkj would be maximal if that Sj was
directly depended on for a lot of k's

Reordering the Wjj and Sj sort of like solving simultaneous
equations and colorizing somehow to show the clusters of Wij
dependency bits vs a backgrond of zero bits might make an
interesting display. WDYT?

Any GnuPlot whizzes out there? :-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter