guix-devel

Re: A Forum for Guix Users

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: A Forum for Guix Users
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:43:04 +0000

> Regarding the forum I dont think any forum would have much traction.
> I agree that either matrix or xmpp could be considered instead for that
> purpose.
> As a more approachable chat mechanism compared to IRC.

it's an essential role of a forum that latecomers find the earlier
questions/discussions, typically through a websearch. a forum's primary
user-story is very much not that of a chat, i.e. a real-time, ephemeral, linear
flow of text, sometimes with multiple overlapping discussions, and as such not
very well processed by the search engine crawlers...

i think it all boils down to this:

mailing list archives (and IRC logs) are stuck in time. their underlying data
model is inadequate for efficient indexing/searching, and often lack structure
even to conveniently present the archive to the user.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39