guix-devel

Re: xwayland security updates, to mesa- or core-updates or ?

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: xwayland security updates, to mesa- or core-updates or ?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:25:58 +0000

On Thursday, December 14th, 2023 at 10:21 PM, John Kehayias
<john.kehayias@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> In light of (more) CVEs in xwayland, see
> https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2023-December/003435.html,
>
> with already pending security updates, see
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/67136, I would like to prioritize
>
> getting that fixed in master. The tricky thing is that, according to
> 67136, the xwayland update needs newer xorgproto, which corresponds to
> many rebuilds. (The related CVEs in xorg-server have been pushed
> already as effectively minor version bumps.)
>
> Where is the most efficient branch for this, that could take these
> rebuilds to be merged to master soon (whatever soon is for a scope of
> something like 22k affected packages)?
>
> I was thinking to put that update and mesa, since it had a new stable
> release after the current one never got updates, on mesa-updates and
> merge once builds are done assuming no issues. Again, the potential
> sore spot is xorgproto I would say. I could see about any other
> pending/urgent related changes, but I'm not aware of any off the top
> of my head and want to let this move quickly. I also don't want to
> jump the queue sending other branches to rebuild everything again.

This doesn't seem unreasonable to me, for picking up both the new mesa release
and the latest xwayland security fixes.

> I'll test things locally in the meantime, but please chime in. If I
> don't hear anything too urgent I'll update the mesa-updates branch to
> start builds at least. I've also cc'ed some names I think will be
> knowledgeable about some current branches.
>
> And thanks to Kaelyn (also cc'ed) for the pending xwayland patches!

You're welcome! I've been working on updating my patch set to xwayland 23.2.3,
but it's been taking a while to build the update because most of the dependency
stack on core-updates apparently needed rebuilding locally (presumably from a
lack of recent substitutes unrelated to the xorgproto-triggered rebuilds, but
that's based on my computer churning away at the build for the past day or so,
and not having checked guix weather yet--I even ran into an issue with
coreutils-minimal failing a test when /tmp was a btrfs partition, that I got
past by mounting a tmpfs on /tmp).

Cheers,
Kaelyn