guix-devel

Re: cannot boot after installation on VPS (via rescue system)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: cannot boot after installation on VPS (via rescue system)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:25:57 +0100

Hi Wojtek!

Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org> writes:

>> Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
>> ice-9/boot9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
>> In procedure mount: No such file or directory
>> GRUB loading...
>> Entering a new prompt.  Type ',bt' for a backtrace or ',q' to continue.
>> [...]
>> scheme@(guile-user)> ,bt
>> In gnu/build/linux-boot.scm:
>>     637:8  3 (_)
>>     435:8  2 (mount-root-filesystem "/dev/sda3" "btrfs" # _ #:flags ?)
>> In unknown file:
>>            1 (mount "/dev/sda3" "/root" "btrfs" 0 "compress=zstd")
>> In ice-9/boot9.scm:
>>   1685:16: 0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)

> Maybe the device file is called different from /dev/sda3?

Maybe, but I also tried using UUID (the usual method I use) and label,
both failing... I'll investigate

> On one VPS of mine (which also happens to have Guix installed via
> rescue mode) the root is mounted from /dev/vda1.

Out of curiosity: what's the hoster, please?

>> In particular, I don't understand why the boot script is trying to mount
>> the root filesystem at "/root" and not at "/" as it should: am I missing
>> something?
>
> Linux-based systems typically start with initrd filesystem mounted at
> /.  They then mount the real root at some subdirectory of / and use
> either chroot or pivot-root system call to make the processes see it as
> if it were mounted at / in the first place.

Yes! Thank you for your explanation: I checked gnu/build/linux-boot.scm
and it's just as you pointed out; I simply overlooked the error was in
the "initrd phase"... and now I'm starting to barely understand what's
happening

> I'm not an expert in early boot process so please forgive me any
> mistakes I might have made in this explanation :)

No mistakes :-D

Thank you for your help! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo