guix-devel

Packaging Hyprland

From: hutzdog
Subject: Packaging Hyprland
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:20:13 +0000

Hi all,

I've been working on moving over to GNU Guix recently, and have hit a
roadblock: there is no package for Hyprland (the one WLRoots based compositor
with single window capture and automatic window swallowing that I know of).
I've taken the liberty of packaging the latest version (see
https://git.sr.ht/~hutzdog/patchwork/tree/master/item/patchwork/packages/desktop.scm
 for the package), but there are some changes that need to happen in order for
it to be upstreamed (as of v0.35.0).

# Pending Patches
The following existing patches need to be merged:
LibInput -> 1.25.0 (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68844)
LibDRM -> 2.4.120 (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68845)

# New Patches
The following new patches will need to be created (I intend to submit these at
some point in the near future):
Cairo -> 1.18.0 (requires moving to Meson, I have a mostly complete set of
changes to make it work)
Toml++ (package will be sent as a patch soon)
Hyprlang (for xdg-desktop-portal-hyprland, will publish after Hyprland)

## HWData
As with packages using the release versions of WLRoots, due to how Guix
packages HWData a patch is needed to make Meson find it. We have a few options:
maintain a parallel package which simply farms all outputs of HWData as
symlinks and adds the pkg-config file, maintain a patch on a much more volatile
version of WLRoots, or find some other solution.

# Hyprland
This will allow me to submit packages for Hyprland and its XDG Desktop Portal
at version 0.35.0 (the latest release). As it's one of the more popular Wayland
compositors out there, I think it is worth adding it to the repos. For now, the
package is available through my Guix channel (fair warning, it is still very
WIP and I wouldn't recommend using it yet outside of maybe pulling the Hyprland
packages). I look forward to working with Guix (Scheme is certainly a breath of
fresh air after dealing with Nix for a while) and contributing to its ecosystem.

--Hutzdog