guix-devel

Re: Mechanism for helping in multi-channels configuration (and Xapian in

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Mechanism for helping in multi-channels configuration (and Xapian index)
Date: Mon, 06 May 2024 14:05:50 +0200

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay.

On lun., 18 mars 2024 at 16:05, Christina O'Donnell <cdo@mutix.org> wrote:

>> 2: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39258

> As I said above, [2] is a fairly long thread, but I think I get the
> general idea. It seems that Xapian was implemented but didn't have the
> desired speedup. Am I getting the right impression there?

Not really.  From my memories, the first blocker for implementing search
with Xapian was adding Xapian as dependency of Guix.  This addition
would be a bad idea, IMHO.  However…

At the time of discussing Xapian-based “guix search”,
GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH was at its infancy.  Therefore, it was not really
on the table.

… Xapian-based “package search” appears to me an option if it is turned
into a Guix extension.  This way, adding Xapian as dependency is not for
all but only for those who want more features. :-)

I have on my TODO list to resume the work:

 1. Benchmark Xapian-based search
 2. Benchmark Xapian index building

Then depending on that, it draws the directions.

Cheers,
simon