guix-devel

time-bomb and CI? (was bug#69800: kcalendarcore time-bomb)

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: time-bomb and CI? (was bug#69800: kcalendarcore time-bomb)
Date: Mon, 06 May 2024 13:53:40 +0200

Hi,

Reading this message [1]:

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
Subject: bug#69800: kcalendarcore is a time bomb
To: 69800@debbugs.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:20:43 +0100
From:  Vivien Kraus via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>

Dear Guix,

Kcalendarcore does not build anymore. According to CI, it stopped
working this march, on gnome-team and rust-branch (I can’t build it
either on master).

http://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=kcalendarcore

Best regards,

Vivien
-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------

and this fix:

        * gnu/packages/kde-frameworks.scm (kcalendarcore) [#:phases]: Add
        'disable-failing-test.

My question is: Could we automatically detect by CI such time-related
test?

Other said, would it be possible to have one (or more) node that build
with a date in the future?  Say 3 years.  In Bordeaux?  Or in Berlin?
Using the “Dolorean VM” [2], it could be nice to setup one node.

Some packages would be build by this node.  Somehow, it means some
random-selected packages would be built in the future.  All in all and
considering the rate of building, it would help us to detect problematic
packages.  And fix them now avoid to break “guix time-machine” in the
future.

Well, I am trying to have a more systematic approach here at work – bah
not sure it will see the light –, so still awaiting, having one node in
the future would help, IMHO.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon

PS: Do we speak about bug of year 2038? ;-)

1: bug#69800: kcalendarcore is a time bomb
Vivien Kraus via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org>
Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:20:43 +0100
id:994ee26ab0444037bcc93ee91af18e5a0b389c33.camel@planete-kraus.eu
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/69800