gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] Jumping Right In
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 03:36:10 -0700

Tom Sawyer wrote:

> i had thought about giving some sort of overview here, pointing out the
> goals of GUtopIa, etc. but i decided otherwise. i think all of you
> understand the overall drive behind GUTopIa. further, i am interested in
> hearing what you forsee GUTopIa accomplishing --without further casting
> my own opinions beyond what i have already sketched in the wiki. so this
> then is a "pre-topic" of discussion.

My personal goals will be to use gutopia in the FreeRIDE Ruby IDE in two
ways: 1) as the GUI rendering for FreeRIDE itself, and 2) integrated support
within FreeRIDE for creating GUI applications (for example, a visual layout
editor with auto-code generation).

> lastly, i'm going to jump straight into the middle of our primary topic,
> with a concern i have about gui abstractions using ruby. i have

[snip]

I know these are important topics, but I'll have to apologize in advance as
I will not be able to participate much at the "deep thinking" level. After
family, work, and FreeRIDE there's just not much time/bandwidth left for
me -- sorry.

Instead, I will try to provide feedback/comments on the higher level issues.

Curt