gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] todo - new GWhere feature

From: navara
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] todo - new GWhere feature
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:40:50 +0200

> Hi all,
>
> Someone should imagine a CD catalogiser, that can maintain where are the CD-s
> too.
> Where contains places and persons. For example "Jimmi Hendrix" labelled CD's
> original storage place is at "father's room", but actually it is borrowed by
> "Father's friend - phone number".
>
> I hope it was clear. What do you think about it?
>
> yours,
> Laci

I sent Zero some of my wishies, this was one of them, so he knows.

I suggest these atributes to Item in catalog - category (linux, mp3,...), flag
(damaged, personal) and location (home, red pen, girlfriend's brother).
Together with them next thing, that will allow tree-like view to database - so
i might not have only one big (and over 200CD's is big, trust me :) root tree,
but more these. It is not same as category - Jimmi Hendrix and Jan Hammer ar
both mp3 (or audio) CDs, but they belong to another category - different music
types. I can solve it by having music-techno, music-celtic,... category or put
them in another tree.

Example of this:

root
*
* music  * celtic *
*          *        * Enya - May it Be (category: mp3; flags: poor-quality,
damagen; location: home)
*          *        *         - Shadow of the Moon (category: audio; flags:
excelent ; location: girlfriend)
*          *        *
*          *        * Mike Oldfield - Tubular 1 (category: audio; flags:
do-not-give-away; location: hostel)
*          *                          - Tubular 2 (category: audio; flags:
do-not-give-away; location: hostel)
*          * trance - ps{}trance-cd1 (category: mp3; flags: mix; location:
thomas)
*                      - ps{}trance-cd2 (category: mp3; flags: mix; location:
thomas)
* linux * mandrake - mdk9.1-cd1 (category: linux; flags: iso; location:
installfest)
         *                - mdk9.1-cd2 (category: linux; flags: iso; location:
installfest)
         *                - mdk9.1-cd3 (category: linux; flags: iso; location:
installfest)
         * slackware - slackware-9.0-current (category: linux; flags:
my-own-made, life-love; location: bed)

This way, I have stored all important informations and still se only about 10
categories until I "open" them. For example, look at WhereIsIt software for
win32.
I know that groups music, linux are almost same as category (mp3, linux), but
when you have loot of CDs, you will use them. Until then, you can checkbox that
category should by same as group.

The tree-like view might be implemented trought another filetype, that will
only save names of catalogs (like there are now) itselfs and open all of them
in tree view. But including flags and locations will still change fileformat,
so why not implement trees in them at once ?

Thomas Navara