h-source-users

[H-source-users] FSF blogpost about h-node

From: Donald Robertson
Subject: [H-source-users] FSF blogpost about h-node
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 15:26:03 -0400

Hello all,

I've been putting together a short blog post highlighting h-node, and
wanted to get some feedback. In particular I was wondering about the
bits about people helping out. Are the items I point people to
reasonable for users who haven't been involved on h-node before? Also, I
wanted to check whether getting an influx of new helpers might be a bit
much right at the moment; wouldn't want to swamp you guys with new users
if it would be too much.

But feel free to provide any feedback you might have, and thanks for
your help.
--
Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Copyright & Licensing Associate

---

Licensing resource series: h-node hardware directory

tagline: This is the second installment in the Free Software
Foundation's Licensing & Compliance Lab's series highlighting licensing
resources.

While our [Respects Your Freedom][1] hardware certification program gets
lots  of attention from all the new fully free hardware being certified,
the FSF has actually had more resources on hardware for quite some time.
In the past, we maintained a list of hardware that worked well with free
software. But a few years back we made this into a community run
project, [h-node][2].

[1]:http://fsf.org/ryf
[2]:https://www.h-node.org/

Hardware listed on h-node doesn't come with FSF certification, but it
does come with the information users need to find out the extent to
which the hardware is supported by [fully free GNU/Linux distros][3].
Members of the community can submit entries to h-node whenever they get
a chance to test it against one of these free operating systems. By
sharing this information, everyone can help more users to make the
switch to a fully free system by making it easier to know what hardware
already works perfectly with a free system. Hackers looking to help
increase support can also find hardware with some remaining issues and
direct their efforts there.

[3]:http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

The directory covers a wide breadth of hardware, from basic components
like video cards to full laptops or towers, even peripherals like
printers and webcams. So whether you're looking to upgrade a current
computer, or buying a new one, h-node is a good resource to check before
spending your money. The directory even has information on devices
released quite long ago, so it can be useful for helping you decide how
to re-purpose older hardware. It of course also covers recently released
hardware,  but it is only as up to date as its most recent contributor
makes it. As stated before, h-node is a resource built by the community,
so it depends on users like you stepping up to help out. Here's how you
can help:

* Create an account on [h-node.org][2] to test and add your own hardware
to the directory. Or you can suggest features/bugfixes for the site itself.

* You can keep up to date on this series and more free software news by
subscribing to our newsletter, [the Free Software Supporter][4] and
subscribing to our [RSS feed][5].

* You can help fund our work in creating these licensing resources by
becoming a [member][6] or by [making a donation][7].

[4]:https://www.fsf.org/fss
[5]:https://www.fsf.org/static/fsforg/rss/licensing.xml
[6]:https://www.fsf.org/join
[7]:https://donate.fsf.org/

*Enjoy this article? Check out our previous entry on [A Quick Guide to
the GPLv3][8]*

[8]:http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/licensing-resources-series-a-quick-guide-to-gplv3