h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Images on h-node

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Images on h-node
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 11:32:19 -0400

Ian Gilfillan <address@hidden> writes:

> On 15/07/2016 10:13, Luis A Guzman G wrote:
>>> The second idea i would suggest (i'm on the track of learning on how to
>>> implement it) would be the inclusiĆ³n of images on the devices, maybe not
>>> Full HD images, but some decent resolution. This in the favor of been
>>> able to generate/build a 'Free software compatible hardware catalog'
>>> from h-node
>>> using the XML files that are already being served by the project.
>>>
>>> So h-node could serve PDF catalogs to check hardware compatibility.
>>>
>>> It's been years since Antonio and I discussed this ideas, but nor him or
>>> me had the chance (or in my case the skills) to make it real.

Just about this concern:

> - people will upload images that they don't have the rights to, and
> other licensing issues.

I believe we would be covered by DMCA safe harbor provisions, and would
just need to respond to takedown notices as we do for other sites where
users upload / contribute (like the wiki at directory.fsf.org). We'd
need to add a notice about who to contact about copyright issues (a link
to <http://www.fsf.org/about/dmca-notice> in the footer labeled
"Copyright Infringement Notification" would suffice, and actually, that
should probably be put there regardless of whether we have images or
not).

I also believe such use of product images would be fair use, since we
are using them for the purpose of offering commentary.

So from an FSF standpoint, we wouldn't worry about that.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7  5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.