h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Introduction

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Introduction
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 06:38:11 +0200

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 20:34:35 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:26:57 -0400 Bone wrote:
> > It looks like h-client has been packaged for only two FSDG operating
> > systems.
>
> distro packaging is generally not an upstream concern - but if
> we wanted that to happen, the task at hand would be simply to
> convince all FSDG distros to package it - it is somewhat
> discouraging that they do not already - perhaps it could be
> proposed as a FSDG suggestion or requirement - in any case, that
> is more of a community-oriented task, not a development concern
This is indeed a serious issue.

If we at least manage to get it packaged in the most famous FSDG
compliant distributions, especially Trisquel, *and* that it is being
shipped inside the graphical live installers, it could help a lot.

This way maybe some users would try to test it on many computers one
after the other.

However, as it was pointed before, it probably uses python2 as in
Parabola we have the following dependencies:
> python2 python2-distribute python2-pycurl pygtk pciutils usbutils

So if we need to convince distributions and/or make packages it might
be a good idea to do it after it has been tested with and/or migrated to
python3.

Denis.