h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] recognized/accepted distros

From: Luis Guzman
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] recognized/accepted distros
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:38:36 -0500

El 20/07/21 a las 15:21, bill-auger escribió:
theres really no reason to whitelist any distros - the distro
string could be arbitrary, and deduced by the client at runtime

I guess there are 2 points here, one for a wider users approach, technical and non-technical.

Users that for the first time create a LiveUSB/DVD/CD might not being aware even of the existence of Linux-libre, so distros names makes it a bit more recognizable approach than just Linux-libre or Debian kernel.

Just by mentioning "Debian" kernel, there is a real reflection on how the naming does impact the public, which bring me to the second point.

I think that h-node.org being one of the FSF projects, the FSF would prefer to endorse/promote the use of completely free distros, so h-node.org can be a place for users willing to experiment with free distros to find out and have some level of certainty while handling expectations on the performance of their devices, before even downloading an ISO image.

So I would say that maintaining a specially short list of fully free software distributions can be seen as a minor issue, while it promotes the effort on the teams behind those projects.

My two cents.

--
Luis