h-source-users

[H-source-users] [gnu.org #1741609] Re: Introduction

From: Andrew Engelbrecht via RT
Subject: [H-source-users] [gnu.org #1741609] Re: Introduction
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:46:42 -0400

On Sun Jul 18 22:19:54 2021, pei wrote:

> Damien Zammit <damien@zamaudio.com> writes:

> > It is my opinion that to bring this project into a more
> > up-to-date and workable state,
> > the database should be preserved as a dump and kept on the
> > server, but all tables
> > (**except** the user table(s) containing sensitive password
> > hashes) should be available
> > for study/development.
>
> There's a schema file in the repo
> (https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/h-source.git/tree/h-
> source/tables.sql). Is
> it not sufficient for development?
>
> I have also cc'd sysadmin@fsf in case they have something to say
> about getting a sql dump out of the fsf machine.

Hi Yuchen,

I'm not sure if it's needed, but if we don't make major changes to the current
installation, we can make an SQL dump before that machine is decommissioned,
then host the dump on the new site. I agree that identifying information should
be removed, but it's easy to overlook tables, columns or rows that contain such
information.

Another option is to create a script that generates a development environment,
so a live db wouldn't be necessary.

It's up to you to make that choice. Let us know if we can be of any help.

Thanks, : )
Andrew