Re: reset key bindings

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: reset key bindings
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 14:23:01 -0500

On 12/29/19 2:58 PM, Andrey Butirsky wrote:
> On 29.12.2019 22:27, Chet Ramey wrote:
>> On 12/28/19 7:45 PM, Andrey Butirsky wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there any way to reset all the key bindings to it's default values in
>>> current shell session?
>>> If no, was it done intentionally? Can it be considered as a feature
>>> request?
>> Set to default values at what point? When the shell starts? After bash sets
>> its own key bindings? After reading the readline startup files?
>
> I mean, if I screwed up the bindings somehow with `bind` command, I would
> like to restore default bindings without restarting the shell. Just by a
> command, signal, etc..

If you want some kind of `undo' for bindings, then it would seem reasonable
to save the current set of bindings output by `bind -p' (possibly also
specifying a keymap) to a file, edit it to the form you want, then use
`bind -f' to restore that set of key bindings from the file if you want to
roll back from an experiment.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/