Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: lisa-asket
Subject: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 20:02:05 +0200 (CEST)

From: Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org>
To: help-bash@gnu.org
Date: 23/07/2021 19:48:53 Europe/Paris

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 07:43:41PM +0200, lisa-asket@perso.be wrote:
> Look, this all started because people started giving me shit for using getopt.

Because it's broken.

> All because getopts in supposed to be a replacement getopt,

It's not. They work differently. They are used differently.

Look, if you are dead set on writing scripts that *only* work on Linux,
then go ahead and use the Linux version of getopt. It will do the
job that you want it to do. Make sure you change your script to call
it correctly (it's not the same as the Unix getopt, and it's definitely
not the same as getopts).

Just stop posting here about it, because *we* will not support your use
of it. We prefer scripts that at least pretend to be portable.

---

If that's how it is, make it explicit in the mailing list section of the Gnu
Bash Website.

"We will not support your use of scripts that are not portable, so fuck off."

It would be better for everybody !