Re: >= and <= for string comparison

From: Eduardo Bustamante
Subject: Re: >= and <= for string comparison
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:37:57 -0800

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 9:12 AM Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
> I used it for string comparison. The specific application does not matter
> here.

Peng, I'd like to understand why you think the specific application
does not matter. You have made it clear that you think this feature
is important enough to ask the Bash community to implement it for you.
But you haven't (a) explained why it isn't important enough to
be bothered to implement it yourself, (b) important enough for someone
else to spend their precious and limited time on Earth to do the
work for you, (c) important enough to pay the long-term maintenance
cost that comes from adding yet another feature to Bash.

There is a cost associated with every feature. Always. It is on you to
persuade people into helping you. The dismissive attitude you
display here is not helping.

I hope you consider this argument moving forward in the interest of
everyone's time, including your own. Stating your use case clearly,
and why you think it's generic enough for other people to find value
in this change would be a good starting point to having a positive
discussion on this.