Re: >= and <= for string comparison

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: >= and <= for string comparison
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 08:22:42 -0600

On 1/18/23, Eduardo Bustamante <dualbus@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 9:12 AM Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (...)
>> I used it for string comparison. The specific application does not matter
>> here.
>
> Peng, I'd like to understand why you think the specific application
> does not matter. You have made it clear that you think this feature
> is important enough to ask the Bash community to implement it for you.
> But you haven't (a) explained why it isn't important enough to
> be bothered to implement it yourself, (b) important enough for someone
> else to spend their precious and limited time on Earth to do the
> work for you, (c) important enough to pay the long-term maintenance
> cost that comes from adding yet another feature to Bash.
>
> There is a cost associated with every feature. Always. It is on you to
> persuade people into helping you. The dismissive attitude you
> display here is not helping.
>
> I hope you consider this argument moving forward in the interest of
> everyone's time, including your own. Stating your use case clearly,
> and why you think it's generic enough for other people to find value
> in this change would be a good starting point to having a positive
> discussion on this.

See my last reply.

Also, as I mentioned, does this take hours to implement or years to
implement? If it takes hours to implement, the time saved by others
for not confused by finding <= => would surely be worth it. If it
takes years to implement, then it probably should not be implemented
as it is too difficult.

If it takes days (I'd expect that it is what it would take), then it
is up to an implementor's judgment whether he wants to implement it or
not. All that I am saying is that <= => is useful and is probably
surprising to many people that these operators are not available.
These problems are sufficient for the justification of implementing
them.

Nobody forces anybody to do anything. Having justifications do not
mean that there must be somebody forced to implement it. But for the
purpose of justifying so basic operations, I don't think specific
applications are needed.

This can be seen in many languages, for example, javascript below.
Such operators are just implemented without having to provide an
application in the first place.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Less_than_or_equal

--
Regards,